Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Swine Flu and Animal Terrorism?

Last week there were stories of Swine Flu all over the news. Being an artist, I wanted to try to draw something in response. Something that wouldn't be offensive, as it is a serious illness and people have died. It was the fear and panic in all of the newscasts that bothered me the most. We're constantly warned of new threats and it seems we need to live in fear of something at all times. I've seen it referred to as "a culture of fear". It's impossible to really"live" in this mindset. So, humor was the only way I could respond to it.

I was playing with some design ideas and as an animal lover, I wondered about this animal connection--mad cow disease, avian flu, and now swine flu. What if... the animals were getting back at humanity for the long history of poor treatment. What if...they all got together, organized, and...voila! Terrorist animals. It was kind of a fun idea. Let me know what you think.


No comments:

Post a Comment